Back in February we heard screenwriters Damon Lindelof, Bob Orci and Alex Kurtzman would be submitting their script for Star Trek 2 to Paramount sometime in March. Well we’re now approaching June and the latest on the project is that pre-production is under-way, but it’s based on a 70 page outline, not a full script.
From Trek Movie:
Today in the TrekMovie.com comments section, Orci responded by dismissing notions that their original draft had been rejected and explained what was really going on, saying (in part):
“Just been waiting for JJ to be free to really decide if he likes the story and hear his suggestions before we finish the script. Once he says go, we’ll have it in no time. Meanwhile, our outline is detailed enough (70+ pages!) to do some prep :)”
In an email to TrekMovie today, Orci also noted that even though the team are waiting for JJ Abrams to finish his work on Super 8, he has continued to work with the Star Trek writing team:
“In the meetings we’ve had with JJ, he’s already given us amazing input and ideas, and that’s been while he’s been up to his eyeballs in Super 8.”
With most of J.J. Abrams’ attention on Super 8 it’s understandable that things haven’t been moving as swiftly as they could be, but Super 8 will be out in just over 2 weeks time so we’ll probably get solid news soon. Abrams hasn’t said he’s directing, but it’s likely.
Paramount aim to release Star Trek 2 on June 29, 2012 which is 13 months away. Star Trek took 5 months to shoot, so it’s still possible to have the movie ready for that date. Chris Pine, Zoe Saldana, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin and John Cho are all expected to return.