20th Century Fox decided to feature Ridley Scott’s Prometheus at the San Diego Comic Con, and those in attendance were treated to a featurette containing behind-the-scenes footage as well as footage from the movie.
After this writer Damon Lindelof (Lost) and Charlize Theron presented the panel with Ridley Scott and Noomi Rapace joining via satellite uplink from Iceland. The studio have released the first official image (see above) for those who didn’t attend, but thankfully reports of what was shown during the panel have surfaced.
AvP Galaxy compiled a great summary of the panel and the interesting bits:
– Many of the sets, spaceships, space suits and the look in general appeared very reminiscent of Alien. Repeated comments are that the sets are “epic and expansive“.
– In the footage the “Prometheus” title card slowly faded onto screen much in the same manner as the original “Alien” title.
– Michael Fassbender’s character, David, is shown looking curiously at a drop of blood on his finger.
– Charlize Theron’s character, Vickers, was also seen doing naked push-ups and wielding a flame-thrower. Vickers is revealed to “be a suit“. Theron also comments that: “She[Vickers] runs a tight ship… but she’s somehow ‘going to be a problem“.
– Ridley Scott comments on the long wait for his return to science-fiction: “I was busy doing other movies and exploring other genres and, frankly, I never thought about sci-fi until I realized there was something in the first Alien that no one ever asked a question about. In the next one, still no exploration of that big question, so maybe that can be the centerpiece of what we just complete. But we’ve decided to go a complete other direction… In the last few minutes of the movie… you’ll actually understand what I’m talking about . “
You can read the rest of the round-up here. It’s still early days yet but it looks like Ridley Scott’s return to sci-fi will be worth the wait.
Prometheus stars Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron and Idris Elba, and 20th Century Fox will release the film on June 8th 2012.