With filming on X-Men: First Class officially a-go this coming Monday producer Bryan Singer decided to clear up a few details by calling Harry at AICN. He addressed a few key issues such as who Kevin Bacon will be playing, who the main villains will be, and most importantly of all…whether James McAvoy will be bald.
You can read the full story here, but i’ll point out the main points below: (possible spoilers)
– Kevin Bacon will play Sebastain Shaw, leader of the Hellfire Club. The group is an international social club for wealthy elites who seek to influence world events to their own agenda. Shaw possesses the ability to absorb kinetic energy and transform it into raw strength, and he will be joined by telepath Emma Frost (January Jones).
– James McAvoy will not be shaving his head as we will see Xavier pre-hair loss, but we will see how be injured his legs and became confined to a wheelchair.
– The film takes place in the 1960’s. John F Kennedy is the President of the United States. Martin Luther King and Malcolm X are on TV doing marches. There is a spirit of a hopeful future that was prevalent in that time.
– Singer is excited that the film is going to have a much more international feel than the prior X-Men movies. They’ll be shooting in England & the United States and countries such as Russia will be represented in the film.
– Director Matthew Vaughn is inspired by James Bond’s technology of the time. The costumes will be far more comic bookish than we’ve seen before.
– Cyclops, Jean and Storm will not be in the film. This, along with the absence of Wolverine, means Fox is being pretty bold by making an X-Men movie without the big 4. It was mentioned early on that Fox intends First Class to spawn a new trilogy, so there is a good chance we will see these characters in a sequel after Xavier has set up his school.
An X-Men movie set in the 60s is quite an interesting prospect. I am official excited for this.
With cameras rolling next week we may get some set images in the near future, and hopefully Fox will release some official stills along with way.