Remember back when Adam Sandler used to star in good comedies that actually made you laugh and could be enjoyed by the entire family? Well I do and while box office success doesn’t always equal quality, in the case of Mr. Sandler, some of his best comedies also happen to be his biggest hits.
This top 10 ranks his most successful movies based on their North American gross. I chose that instead of worldwide because Adam Sandler wasn’t so popular with international audiences at the end of the 90′s and the first part of the 2000′s, so it wouldn’t be fair for films like The Waterboy or Mr. Deeds.
10. Bedtime Stories (2008) $110.1 million – Certainly not one of his worst but neither was it good in any way or shape.
9. I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry (2007) $120 million – Usual Adam Sandler flick, if you’re a fan of his comedies check it out, if not this won’t win you over.
8. 50 First Dates (2004) $120.9 million – This is the second time Adam Sandler teamed up with Drew Barrymore after the success of The Wedding Singer (that we won’t find in this top 10 since it made $80.2 million). 50 First Dates is definitely an Adam Sandler fan favorite, one of his best movies. Maybe it would be a good idea for him to make another flick with Drew Barrymore, it worked out great the first two times.
7. Mr. Deeds (2002) $126.2 million – Make no mistake, this is a dumb movie but unlike what Adam Sandler makes today, this is good dumb and actually packs some real laughs.
6. Anger Management (2003) $135.6 million – This was one of my favorite Adam Sandler movies back when it came out and while I wouldn’t appreciate it today the same way I did 8 years ago, it certainly isn’t a bad movie. Jack Nicholson is one to watch here.
5. Click (2006) $137.3 million – This movie has its share of toilet jokes but among Adam Sandler comedies, it’s probably the last really good one he made. A fun flick for the entire family, Click is a must watch for any Adam Sandler fan.
4. The Longest Yard (2005) $158.1 million – A remake of the 1971 Burt Reynolds classic, The Longest Yard is another really fun Adam Sandler movie, among his best for me at least.
3. The Waterboy (1998) $161.4 million – This movie takes stupid to a whole new level and you know what, I liked it. It knows it’s stupid and embraces that in ways that makes this another Adam Sandler classic.
2. Grown Ups (2010) $162 million – A rather large comedic ensemble (Kevin James, Chris Rock, Rob Schneider, David Spade, Steve Buscemi) should have made this at least somewhat entertaining. What we get instead are forced laughs for what is simply a mediocre and rarely funny movie.
1. Big Daddy (1999) $163.4 million – Well deserving of the top spot, Big Daddy is a classic Adam Sandler comedy with a huge heart that can be enjoyed by everyone with a sense of humor.
As you can see Adam Sandler has found great success with his brand of comedies but for me at least, Reign Over Me, a drama, is my favorite movie among his work. Reign Over Me was a remarkable film that showed a very different Adam Sandler proving that he can do a lot better than the dribble we see him in today.
So what is your favorite and least favorite Adam Sandler movie, comment below.