It’s Michael versus Tobias as Arrested Development stars Jason Bateman and David Cross have conflicting reports regarding the status of a big-screen follow-up to the fantastic comedy series.
Arrested Development began airing in 2003, and ran for three seasons before it was cancelled by Fox in 2006 (the final season being rather abruptly cut short). It was one of those shows with an incredibly strong fanbase, but it failed to gain a large audience on par with something like The Office. It was a phenomenal series, and is well worth checking out if you’ve never seen it before. Although, as its number of viewers has perhaps pointed out – it just might not be for everyone.
Talk of a movie has been around since its cancellation, and reached a peak late last year when it was confirmed that creator Mitch Hurwitz was working on a script, and that most of the main cast wanted to return. But there has been a back-and-forth between the show’s stars as to whether the film will get made or not. Will Arnett (G.O.B. on the show) stated a few months ago that shooting would start this year.
However – two weeks ago, David Cross (pictured above, in blue) dashed these hopes by making the definitive comment: “It’s just not going to happen.”
And now, Jason Bateman (who plays Michael, the show’s “central” character) has jumped in with this, from the LA Times:
“David says that it’s dead, but it’s not dead at all,” Bateman said in an interview Friday while promoting “The Switch,” a romantic comedy out in August in which he costars with Jennifer Aniston. “[Show creator] Mitch Hurwitz is busy shooting a new pilot with Will Arnett, and perhaps when they’re done shooting and editing and he’s delivered that, perhaps he’ll jump into writing the script. Once the script is done, it goes to the studio and they decide if it’s a script they want to make, and the actors will decide if they want to be in it.”
Which is all to say?
“It’s a long process. But it could happen and it’s still in everybody’s plans for it to happen.”
As for Cross’ remarks, Bateman thinks his former costar’s words may have been blown out of proportion.
“I think he was simply saying, ‘Who knows?’ He wasn’t saying anything definitive, but a lot of people with blogs and whatnot, in the interest of making a splash headline, stretched things a bit.”
Is it just me, or does it sound like a lot of it’s down to Hurwitz getting that script done? If so, I hope he gets to work – the longer this project is left, the less likely it will come to fruition. And some fear that the commercial and critical failure of Reno 911!: Miami (based on TV show Reno 911!) may have caused Fox to be much more wary of an Arrested Development. Miami was apparently a film that pleased the fans…but not many other people.
I know it’s a risk, transferring a half-hour weekly show into a feature-length film, but I’d love one last outing from one of my favourite shows of all time, and I hope Arrested Development finally gets into development. COME ON!