Despite the great reception, reviews and box office takings not a single Harry Potter film has received an Academy Award. It’s received plenty of nominations over the years (9 in total) for categories such as cinematography, art direction, visual effects, and John Williams received a nod for his Prisoner of Azkaban score, but none walked away with a statue.
Some would argue that it doesn’t really need any and they are still great films without acknowledgement from the Academy, but with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 being the final film Warner Bros. is apparently planning to make a final push for some awards recognition.
Studio is pulling out the stops to mount a best-picture campaign for the last installment of the “Harry Potter” franchise, taking a page from the “Lord of the Rings” playbook that New Line successfully employed to land the 2003 best picture Oscar for the trilogy’s final installment, “The Return of the King,” along with 10 other Oscars.
Warners will “absolutely, hands-down, across-the-board” push the last installment of “Harry Potter” hoping Academy members will consider a vote for “Deathly Hallows: Part 2” as a wider nod to the entire franchise, a notion that very much helped propel “Return of the King” to Oscar glory.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is currently one of the best reviewed movies of the year with 97% on Rotten Tomatoes (the other 3% are obviously dementors), so the critical acclaim should give it a shot. One hurdle Warner Bros. will have to overcome, however, is the recent rule changes regarding nominations for Best Picture. Back in June the Academy announced that instead of nomination 10 movies for Best Picture as they have done since 2009, they will now only nominate the movies they think deserve it (a number between 5 and 10).
This was a welcomed move as if there are only 8 movies that truly deserve recognition in a given year, they shouldn’t feel an obligation to round out the number just because the rules say they should. However, this may create a problem for Deathly Hallows: Part 2 as voters tend to prefer low budget dramas, where as Potter is a $200+ million action fantasy, so it may just miss out on a nomination.
Failing a nod for Best Picture, a Supporting Actor nomination/statue for Alan Rickman would be fitting.