Update: Tron: Legacy writers give an update on the sequel – It’s happening!
When Tron: Legacy hit screens in December its opening weekend wasn’t that great ($44 million), which gave the impressions it would under-perform for Disney, but in the end it made $400 million worldwide, and in April director Joseph Kosinski said “we are working on the story now” for the sequel.
This was followed by the hiring of David DiGilio (Eight Below) in June to get started on the script, and now Bruce Boxleitner (Alan Bradley/Tron) has suggested the sequel could hit in 2013.
Here’s Boxleitner talking to fan at Disney’s D23 Expo last week (via AICN):
Director Joseph Kosinski has previously said he’d love to return, but his next movie will be Horizons with Tom Cruise which is expected to start shooting later this year, so if he is returning to direct production on the sequel won’t begin until after he’s completed that (Horizons‘ release date is July 19, 2013).
The story for the sequel will likely start off with Quorra (Olivia Wilde) and Sam Flynn (Garrett Hedlund) in the real world, and hopefully Cillian Murphy can return for a larger (potentially villainous) role as Dillinger Jr.