Earlier this week we learned that Spider-Man 4 would not begin filming in March as originally planned due to script problem. This was swiftly followed by Thor and Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides shifting releases dates as they assumed Spider-Man wouldn’t be able to make it’s May release, which it probably won’t. However Tobey Maguire recently spoke to The Associated Press and said that we will still be seeing Peter Parker in 2011.
“Like anything, it’s a process,” Maguire said Thursday. “We’re just in the midst of the process. We have a lot of great stuff in terms of story and script. We’re just trying to dial it in and get it ready as quickly as possible. Of course, these movies are a very big undertaking and take a lot more time than a drama or something more straightforward.”
Marvel Studios spokesman Paul Pflug declined to comment on reports that production had stalled amid script revisions.
Maguire, who has played Peter Parker in all three films, said the plan is to still release the movie in 2011, but wasn’t more specific about the date. Whatever happens, he’s enthusiastic about Spidey’s future.
“Not only do I have specific ideas, but the ideas are evolving on the page,” he said. “It’s all happening right now. It’s all sort of coming together. It’s very exciting to me. I think the evolution of the character is really exciting, to be rooted in the history of what we’ve done already and to have a continuity, yet have a progression or evolution.”
I think Sony will still try and aim for a summer 2011 release, possibly June/July if they are able to get the script sorted.