MTV conducted an interview yesterday with Ridley Scott, who unveiled a few details about the Alien prequel he’s currently working on. I’ll summarise the main information for those who don’t want to read the whole thing:
– Silencing any potential doubters, Ridley assures us that “There’s no question about it, we’re going to make the film.” They’ve gone through about four drafts of a script, with Scott now aiming towards something that can be shot.
– The film will be set in 2085 (approx. 30 years before Ripley is born – so no Sigourney Weaver!). In Ridley Scott’s original Alien, the cast come across the remains of a giant being with a hole in its chest (pictured above). Clearly these giants had come into contact with the xenomorphs beforehand, and fallen victim to their chest-bursting tendencies. The prequel will tell the story of these “Space Jockeys,” and their encounter with the aliens.
– Following the previous Alien movies, the protagonist will likely be female.
– The aliens will potentially undergo some design changes, in particular the face-hugger. Ridley may work together with H.R. Giger again, who designed the original alien back in the 1970s.
– Ridley aims for a late 2011 or 2012 release date.
While it might not be an integral piece of background, I think this could be very cool, and I’m intrigued to see the story of the Space Jockeys. It’ll be interesting to see a sci-fi horror in which the main characters aren’t human.