Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides crossed the $1 billion dollar mark over the weekend and overtook The Dark Knight to become the 7th highest grossing movie of all time (without taking inflation into account).
The fourth movie in the franchise has only made $233 million in the US (the next lowest franchise performer The Curse of the Black Pearl is way ahead at $305 million), but overseas it has amassed a total of $774 million, mainly thanks to strong performances in Japan ($95m), Russia ($63m) and Germany ($60m).
Here’s the all-time list as it stands today:
1. Avatar – $2.7B
2. Titanic – $1.9B
3. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King – $1.1B
4. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest – $1.066B
5. Toy Story 3 – $1.063B
6. Alice in Wonderland – $1.02B
7. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides – $1.007B
8. The Dark Knight – $1.001B
9. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone – $974M
10. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End – $963M
Out of the 10 Disney produced 5 of them and Johnny Depp stars in 4. Disney + Johnny Depp = $$$
A script for Pirates of the Caribbean 5 has already been turned in to Disney by writer Terry Rossio, so we can expect another outing for Captain Jack sometime over the next 3-4 years.