While Monsters vs. Aliens didn’t exactly make Pixar numbers earlier this year, it did make just under $400 million worldwide which should be enough to earn it a sequel. DreamWorks, however, have decided not to go ahead with a Monsters vs. Aliens 2 as they think it underperformed overseas.
From The L.A Times:
Chief Executive Jeffrey Katzenberg continued that theme Tuesday, telling analysts in a conference call that “Monster vs. Aliens” was off to a “strong start in its initial home video release.” Katzenberg declined to give a forecast for DVD sales, saying it was too early to estimate future sales.
Katzenberg also disclosed that the studio did not plan to produce a sequel to “Monsters vs. Aliens,” which generated $380 million at the box office but did not fare well in some key international markets. Asked why, he said: “I’d like to tell you there’s a perfectly rational, clear and easy answer as to why not, but there isn’t.”
“There was enough of a consensus from our distribution and marketing folks in certain parts of the world that we would be pushing a boulder up a hill,” Katzenberg said of the decision not to pursue a sequel, which has been DreamWorks strategy with its other movies.
There are probably some folks out there who were hoping for a sequel, but when films such as Ice Age 2 and 3, Kung Fu Panda and the Pixar films are making over $400 million overseas (and even more when the US gross comes into play) you know this cute faced animation could have done better.