Back in July last year MGM’s RoboCop reboot was officially declared dead as at the time the company was still knee deep in bankruptcy, with no sign of a way out. Since then the company has emerged from bankruptcy with the help of Spyglass Entertainment and is moving forward with The Hobbit and Bond 23.
With their main projects under-way they are starting to look at other movies to develop, and it looks like they are revisiting plans to reboot RoboCop.
The Lion has finally started to really stir, with MGM announcing its first post-bankruptcy co-financing deal Thursday and studio execs telling creative reps that it’s moving on a quintet of projects, including remakes of 1980s pics “Mr. Mom” and “The Idolmaker” and long-gestating reboots of “RoboCop” and “Poltergeist.”
A reboot of “RoboCop.” Pic was being fast-tracked for a 2010 release as the first potential tentpole to come together under Parent’s regime, with director Darren Aronofsky attached at one point. Phoenix Pictures’ Mike Medavoy, who produced the original film for Orion in 1987, was on board as producer alongside Arnold Messer, Brad Fischer and David Thwaites.
Darren Aronofsky will be occupied with The Wolverine for another year, but in November he said he was still interested in directing his version of RoboCop. David Self (Road to Perdition) had written the script, and while no details were released, Self said it was “definitely not a sequel. It’s an origin story, it’s an origin to the original Robocop. So, it’s basically a ‘reboot’.” MGM could wait for Aronofsky and continue to develop Self’s script, or they could start again from scratch with another director and writer.
As well as RoboCop, MGM also plan on proceeding with a new Hercules project — one that sees the mythical hero turning his back on the gods and forming a ruthless army — and a fourth installment to the Poltergeist franchise.