The process of casting Katniss Everdeen in Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games may be over with Winter’s Bone and X-Men: First Class actress Jennifer Lawrence landing the role, but now the studio and director Gary Marshall have to find the two male characters who compete for her affections.
According to Heat Vision testing for the roles of Peeta Mellark and Gale Hawthorne are currently under-way, and now is a good time to be an upcoming 20-something actor.
Testing for Peeta:
- Josh Hutcherson – 18 (The Kids Are All Right)
- Alexander Ludwig -19 (Escape to Witch Mountain)
- Hunter Parish – 23 (Weeds)
- Lucas Till – 20 (X-Men: First Class) (Pictured above)
- Evan Peters – 24 (Kick-Ass)
Testing for Gale:
- Liam Hemsworth – 21 (The Last Song)
- David Henrie – 21 (How I Met Your Mother)
- Robbie Amell – 22 (Straight-to-DVD Scooby Doo! movies)
- Drew Roy – 24 (Falling Skies)
The Hunger Games is set in a future America which is divided into 12 poor districts that serve a wealthy Capitol territory. Once a year, each district submits a girl and boy as tributes to participate in life-or-death games.
Katniss is a young girl who volunteers to take the place of her sister, while Peeta is a boy from Katniss’ town who is also selected for the games. During the opening ceremony he reveals his unrequited love for her, and Katniss spends the rest of the story unsure whether the move was a survival ploy or a true act. Gale is Katniss Everdeen’s best friend and hunting partner, but becomes more in the second and third books.