Universal have announced that the Les Misérables DVD release date in the US will be 22nd March 2013. In addition to the DVD, the blockbuster musical will also be available on Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy/Ultraviolet combo pack, and On Demand.
The special features seem quite extensive, though they appear to consist mostly of featurettes and interviews, which is the standard for an Oscar nominated movie. The Blu-ray is undoubtedly more impressive than the DVD, though that was always going to be the case.
Check out the special features below
Bonus Features Exclusive to the Blu-ray
- Les Misérables Singing Live: The star-studded cast and production team discuss how the daunting challenge of singing live rather than lip-syncing to pre-recorded tracks ultimately gave them the creative freedom to deliver nuanced, emotionally powerful performances.
- Battle at the Barricade: Director Tom Hooper wanted the dramatic building of the barricade to be as visceral and intense as possible, so he had his actors build it in real time, literally hurling furniture out of windows to construct an actual barricade. This featurette takes an in-depth look at the creation and filming of all the action on this remarkable set.
- The West End Connection: Meet the “godfather” of the original stage production of Les Misérables, renowned West End producer Cameron Mackintosh, who was deeply involved in the filming, as well as former Les Misérables, theatrical stars who were thrilled to appear in supporting roles in the current film.
- Les Misérables on Location: Filming rather than staging Les Misérables presents the opportunity to shoot in real world locations: a massive dry dock on the coast of England, a beautiful underground chapel in the heart of London and the ancient city of Winchester. Members of the cast and crew talk about what it was like to find and work in these incredible locations.
Bonus Features on Both the Blu-ray and DVD
- The Stars of Les Misérables: Director Tom Hooper talks about casting the iconic characters, and the actors discuss why it was important to them to be a part of this groundbreaking version of Les Misérables.
- Creating the Perfect Paris: Production designer Eve Stewart created a massive Paris set featuring real cobblestones and running water. Take an intricate look into the detailed recreation of these Paris streets that no longer exist in today’s world.
- The Original Masterwork: Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables: This mini-documentary takes a look at the historical backdrop and universal themes of Hugo’s classic, and how the filmmakers mined the novel to enrich the look and feel of the film.
- Feature Commentary with Director Tom Hooper
Les Misérables was directed by Tom Hooper (The King’s Speech) and is based on the world renowned stage musical adaptation of Victor Hugo’s 19th Century novel. The story focuses on the redemption of prisoner Jean Valjean and the French revolution in 1832.
The film stars Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway and Amanda Seyfreid. It has currently grossed $360 million worldwide and achieved eight Oscar nominations including, Best Picture, Best Actor (Hugh Jackman) and Best Supporting Actress (Anne Hathaway).