Having watched the recently released Hancock I came to a random conclusion that Halle Berry and Charlize Theron have a lot in common. Some are rather big things such as movie roles and their personal lives, however some are rather small. For example, they are both born in August.
(Contains Hancock spoilers)
1. Both actresses have won an Oscar for Best Actress. Halle won hers in 2001 for her role in Monsters Ball, and Charlize Theron won hers in 2004 for her role in Monster. If the bold didn’t make it clear enough, both actresses won their Oscars for staring in movies with ‘Monster’ in the title.
2. After their Oscar wins both actresses stared in female lead action films. Halle Berry stared in Catwoman that currently has 10% on Rotten Tomatoes and Charlize Theron stared in Aeon Flux which is on 11%. Both films were bashed by critics. Coincidently, both movies were the actresses 4th project after their Oscar winning film.
Both actresses also ended up in hospital during accidents on the sets of their rubbish films. Halle collided with a piece of stage equipment during a chase scene and Charlize suffering a fall while filming a series of back handsprings which required her to wear a neck collar for a month.
3. (Hancock spoilers) Both actresses play superheroes with the power to manipulate weather, but more specifically tornadoes. Halle Berry played Storm in the X-Men trilogy, and in X-Men 2 created tornadoes to escape fighter jets.
In Hancock Charlize Theron’s character creates tornadoes and lightning for a big special effects battle with Hancock.
1. Both actresses had abusive fathers. Halle’s left when she was four years old, then returned some years later but not for long. When Charlize was 15 her father attacked her mother, and her mother shot and killed him in self-defence.
As a result, both actresses have campaigned against domestic violence. In South Africa, Charlize filmed TV commercials urging no tolerance for rape or domestic violence and Halle recently held a celebrity golf tournament with all money raised going to a domestic violence charity.
2. Both actresses are determined not to get married. After two divorces Halle has gone off the idea, dispite just having a baby with her new partner. Charlize said she refuses to get married to Stuart Townsend until same-sex couples are able to have their marriages recognized.
They have a lot in common and should team up for a film. I suggest Brokeback Mountain 2 so they can get more Oscars and redeem themselves for Catwoman and Aeon Flux. Alternatively, they could do a Hancock/X-Men spin off involving their characters. Two good looking ladies firing lightning bolts at each other will surely be a box office smash as well as highly arousing.