Following the success of Fast Five Universal were keen to continue the Fast and Furious franchise, and we heard reports last year that Fast and Furious 6 and 7 may be shot back-to-back, with a single storyline connecting the two films.
Well in a recent interview Dwayne Johnson confirmed shooting will begin in May, but it will only be for the sixth film.
“I don’t think we’re going to shoot them back-to-back,” he said.
He explained, “We were going to try that because it wouldn’t make sense to have the same crew and have everybody there in one place, but I think we’re dealing with some weather issues, so from what I know we’re going to shoot ‘Fast 6’ first and then worry about ‘Fast 7’ a little later.”
Shooting sequels back-to-back is often more cost effective for studios, so this weather issue must be important if it’s preventing them from going through with their original plans. Johnson continued to tease new shooting locations for the sequels, but didn’t say which location was for which film.
“We’re going to be in the U.K., we’re going to be in Germany, from what I know. That’s the early talks,” he said. “And we’re going to start shooting in May.”
Story details on Fast and Furious 6 and 7 haven’t been released, although Universal chairman Adam Fogelson said he hopes to transform the street-racing franchise into a series of heist films to attract a wider audience. The thinking is that more people will turn up if they are action films with cars, rather than car films with action.
Fogelson also said Dwayne Johnson (who played a federal agent assigned to track down the Fast Five gang) will be “integral to the action in Fast Six.” Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, and most of the gang will return, as will director Justin Lin. Fast Five screenwriter Chris Morgan is currently working on the script, and Universal has set a release date for May 24, 2013.