Last month we heard that Thor director Kenneth Branagh, who helped the movie gross $437 million worldwide and earned positive reviews for his effort, won’t be returning to direct the sequel and Marvel were currently on the hunt for a new director.
In a new interview Chris Hemsworth expressed his disappointment about Branagh not returning as he “learned so much from him”.
From Hero Complex:
“I’m really disappointed,” Hemsworth said of Branagh’s decision to pass on “Thor 2,” which is aiming for a July 2013 release and may begin filming next May. “Ken built that character and everything I know about the Thor world I learned while shoulder-to-shoulder with Ken. I learned so much from him.”
“As long as he’s happy that’s the thing,” said Hemsworth, who left San Diego to return to the New Mexico set of ”The Avengers.” “I learned so much from Ken while we built [the first film] so at least I had that time with someone like that. The start of anything creative is the most important period in a way. That’s when the most can go wrong and Ken made sure we got it right.”
Reports suggest that Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige invited Branagh back to direct the sequel, but “the marathon devotion required for a major visual-effects epic and the urgency to get the script process underway were the factors that sent Branagh in a different direction.” Branagh finished working on Thor in May, and with Marvel setting a July 26, 2013 release date for the sequel it would have required him to head straight back into it despite his commitment to TV series Wallander.
Marvel’s search for a replacement may be a challenge. Thor isn’t the easiest superhero to get right on-screen, and with Natalie Portman mainly signing on to the first film because of Branagh, they’ll have to please everyone enough to return.