The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today released their short list of 15 films currently in contention for Best Achievement in Visual Effects for the 83rd Academy Awards. As usual, the list is a mix of critical darlings, box office failures, comic book movies, sequels and originals.
Here are the 15 films in alphabetical order:
- Alice in Wonderland
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
- Clash of the Titans
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
- Iron Man 2
- The Last Airbender
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
- Scott Pilgrim vs the World
- Shutter Island
- The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
- TRON: Legacy
Members of the Academy’s Visual Effects Branch Executive Committee will narrow the list down to seven in early January, prior to the announcement of the Oscar nominations on Tuesday, January 25, 2011.
Which select few do you think will make it through to the final 3? Last year it was a battle between Avatar, Star Trek and District 9, with Avatar obviously taking the gold.